Shrewsbury Parish is a caring community of faithful people created by God, redeemed by the Son, and empowered by the Holy Spirit.
Our mission is to joyfully radiate God's love and to live in Christ.
began as Rector here in September of 2010. With a B.A. in Rhetoric from Wabash College and a MSW in Social Work from Indiana University, his career began as a Clinical Social Worker and Therapist working in the fields of Chemical Dependency Treatment, Counseling and Alcohol/Drug Awareness and Acute Care Psychiatry. Father Sabetti graduated from Virginia Theological Seminary in 1998 and served as Curate, Chaplain and Executive Director, and Rector for churches in Kansas and Maryland before arriving at Shrewsbury. He is Dean of the Northern Convocation of Episcopal Churches in the Diocese of Easton and serves on the Commission on Ministry, the Camp Wright Board of Directors, and the Diocesan Recovery Committee. Father Henry is married to Lisa, who is a Practice Administrator with Johns Hopkins Medicine in Odenton, Maryland.
Shrewsbury Parish Church
a community of people who support one another as we live to love God, love each other and share the love of God in Kent County and the world beyond. A community in process, we are young and old, local and newly arrived. With Jesus Christ as our unifying center, we seek to know God more and to make God known in worship, prayer and service. We warmly welcome you to join us for worship and other parish events.
Shrewsbury Parish | 12824 Shrewsbury Church Road, P.O. Box 187, Kennedyville MD 21645 us | +1.410.348.5944
is a Lutheran Pastor and is licensed for ministry in the Diocese of Easton. Since 2003 he has been Shrewsbury's Missioner for Outreach to the Hispanic community. He has served as Assistant to the Bishop, parish Pastor and Executive Director of Heron Point Retirement Community in Chestertown, Maryland. He has a Doctorate of Ministry from New York Theological Seminary.
CONGREGATION OF FAITH
grew up outside Washington, D.C., attended Yale, Duke Law School, and Virginia Seminary. He practiced law, and later served parishes in Washington D.C., and Michigan. He is Past President and Senior Counsel of the International Center for Non-for-Profit Law in Washington, D.C., a center to assist developing countries in establishing laws for the nonprofit sector.
includes being recognized as a family of faith established since 1687 - the first known record of service. Originally known as the South Sassafras Parish, it is one of the original 30 Angelican Parishes in the Province of Maryland. The church holds historical and sacred significance. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, Shrewsbury Parish is an Episcopal congregation.
The present church was erected in 1835 and the site holds the remains of two previous structures, the last of which was destroyed by fire in the late 1700's. The bell tower and stained glass windows are each dedicated additions to the warm and welcoming Gothic-revival style architecture of this church set in the midst of beautiful country side and abundant farmland.
The Shrewsbury churchyard recorded its first burials in 1730. General John Cadwalader, whose epithet was written by Thomas Paine, is buried here. It has the unique distinction of being the final resting place for a veteran of every war fought by the United States of America, including both camps of the Civil War. Each year the Parish recognizes our veterans with a Homecoming Celebration and Service to honor these heroes and their families.
During the recent 150 celebration of the Diocese of Easton, Shrewsbury published a brief history that is available to read here:
To learn more about our history and that of Kent County, Maryland, visit the Kent County Historical Society.